COVID-19 – Helping to keep you safe
After reviewing government guidance, we have put some special measures in place to help keep you safe from Coronavirus whilst still enjoying your activities.
- We will be maintaining social distancing from our customers with the exception of saving life and limb.
- All kit is now sterilised before and after each use.
- We have temporarily suspended our minibus transport and ask you to use your own vehicles for transport. We will provide sterilised waterproof seat covers to protect your car seats from any wet clothes.
- To help protect our site and facilities we would like customers to park on the main road through the village and walk down the short track to the centre.
- Sadly we will not be able to take you if you have presented any Coronavirus symptoms in the last 7 days or are showing any on the day of your booking
- We have introduced 2 year vouchers to compensate you in the event your booking is cancelled due to COVID-19
Ghyll Scrambling with Keswick Extreme
Keswick Extreme are a well established and respected local firm with some of the best Ghyll Scrambling guides you will find. Our adventure centre is located on the shores of Derwentwater. We provide all the safety kit, advice and guidance you need to have a thrilling day in the mountains. Groups, Individuals and all experience levels can be catered for. See the bottom of this page for a google map showing our lake side location.
Ghyll Scrambling, also known as Gorge Walking and Canyoning is the ultimate Lake District adventure activity. Keswick extreme will take you on a journey down a steep and rocky mountain river. Your guide will take you on a direct route down the mountain, following the path of the water. You will experience rapid sections of the gorge, slide down rock slides, swim through bubbling plunge pools and even leap over the edge of waterfalls.
A Firm Favourite
Ghyll Scrambling, Gorge Walking, Canyoning. it has many names but there is no denying this is one of the most popular outdoor activities in the area. If you’re looking for an added adventure why not try Ghyll Extreme, a more advanced version of Ghyll Scrambling involving bigger jumps and roped abseils. We are proud to be the first centre to introduce (and name) ghyll Extreme. Do not accept imitations!
Ghyll Scrambling Equipment
We provide you with top quality equipment to keep you warm and safe throughout the trip:
We provide the latest in safety helmets designed for in water use, each helmet will be carefully fitted and checked by one of our staff before you take the plunge.
There’s no denying it, it gets cold in our mountain rivers. That’s why Keswick Extreme provide full length wetsuits to all participants – beware some providers will only provide long-john or short sleeve wetsuits!
Please bring some old shorts to cover your wetsuit pants!
The Abraham Brothers, famous adventurers and photographers were renowned for a number of historic explorations and first ascents way back in the late 1800’s. The abrahams are thought to be the pioneers of ghyll Scrambling in this area. Read about them on Wikipedia